The most beautifully painted ceiling of all the painted churches (in my opinion, at least) lies within Saints Cyril and Methodius Church in Dubina, Texas. The church was built in 1909 from scraps of the original church that was destroyed in a hurricane earlier that year. Like many of the painted churches, the inner grandeur of Saints Cyril and Methodius is unsuspecting from the outside.
If you read our last post on Wesley Brethren Church, the oldest of the painted churches, one of the first things you may notice is the fact that Saints Cyril and Methodius is undeniably more vibrant in color and decor. While there are several reasons for this, the main reason is that church was repainted in the 1980's as the original paintings were whitewashed in the 1950's.
The only problem in visiting Saints Cyril and Methodius is that you have to view it through a gate which is a bit unfortunate. The one way I know of to get around this is to attend their Saturday or Sunday mass when the church is freely open to the public.
HOW TO GET THERE FROM AUSTIN
- Take Interstate 35 South to San Marcos
- Take exit 205 toward TX-80, TX-142
- Turn left onto East Hopkins St. and head toward Luling
- Turn right onto North Magnolia Ave.
- Turn left onto East Pierce St.
- Turn left onto US Highway 90A West
- Take a slight right turn onto S Saint Ludmilla St. and in about 400 feet you'll see the church on the right!
WHAT TO SEE NEARBY
- Stop in at the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner for a free brewery tour. We didn't get a chance to do this on our trip but it's still on my list of things to do!
- Take a dip in the San Marcos River at Zedler Mill in Luling. And yes, there's a rope swing!
- Attention all Texans (And Texas lovers, too!) If you follow the directions above and drive through Gonzales, now's your chance to take a look at the infamous Come and Take It Cannon. Do it!
WHERE TO EAT ALONG THE WAY
- Luling Bar-B-Q in downtown Luling has some mighty fine barbecue which I say that after jumping off the veggie girl train I was on for about 18 years! If you're on that veggie train, have no fear, this place has tons of veggie friendly sides.
- Got a natural sweet tooth? Head to the farmer's market in Luling and pick up a watermelon. It just so happens to be across the street from Luling Bar-B-Q and they've got a variety of types to choose from (if they're in season, of course.)
- Howard's gas station doubles as a beer garden with an outdoor back patio and inexpensive Shiner on draft to boot!
All Photos by Nicole Mlakar
DV Field Trips is a mini series featuring the places I explore around Texas, both as part of the DV vintage hunt and for my own personal pleasure. While I'm hoping it'll be a place where folks can get inspired to get out and explore this great state, it's mostly just an outlet for me to share my passion for history, travel and small town Texas. Follow along here or if you're on Instagram travel with us by searching #DVFieldTrip. Is there a place in Texas you love or would like to know more about? Send us an email - we're always looking for places to explore! In the meantime, enjoy!