HOW TO GET THERE FROM AUSTIN
- Take US-290 W toward Dripping Springs
- Turn right onto S US Highway 281
- At Johnson City, turn left onto E Main St. (290)
- Drive about 23 miles and you'll spot the farm on right!
WHAT TO SEE NEARBY
- Definitely take the time to travel to Albert Dance Hall. It's a little off the beaten path but well worth the extra mileage! A Texas Dance Hall with an outdoor restaurant and bar next door, beer garden style!
- Visit the LBJ Ranch. Even if you don't have time to tour the Texas White House, I would recommend at least driving through the grounds. It's an easy going drive with slight rolling hills filled with scenic views of the Pedernales River.
WHERE TO EAT ALONG THE WAY
- The Hill Country Cupboard has been a stopping place on drives I've taken out to Big Bend, Colorado and Fredericksburg for years. They boast a mighty fine chicken fried steak but forewarning for all you veggie lovers, the vegetarian selection is quite limited.
- There is actually a restaurant right on the premises of Wildseed Farms called the Brewbonnet Biergarten. I've never tried it but they serve up snacks and small plates with a variety of wines and beer.
All Photos by Nicole Mlakar
DV Field Trips is a mini series featuring the places I explore around Texas, both as part of the DV vintage hunt and for my own personal pleasure. While I'm hoping it'll be a place where folks can get inspired to get out and explore this great state, it's mostly just an outlet for me to share my passion for history, travel and small town Texas. Follow along here or if you're on Instagram travel with us by searching #DVFieldTrip. Is there a place in Texas you love or would like to know more about? Send us an email - we're always looking for places to explore! In the meantime, enjoy!